Notes are an excellent way to store emails, conversations and records of calls and meetings in your FP system. These communications can be further connected to the company that the contact lives under in the system, or a job you are working on with them. In addition, notes can have associated files attached, can be turned into a task, and be pinned to a co-workers dashboard, to keep them in the loop on things.
Please review this article to learn more about Notes.
Where Notes Can be Added
You can always add notes though from the main navigation dropdown option. You may see a further pop out of contact names you looked at in your system recently.
You can also add a Note to any Company in your system.
As well as any Contact in your system.
And any Jobs in your system.
Entering Note Information
The Note Add page will give you the same fields to fill in no matter where you add it from. Required fields are marked in blue.
- Template: You can have Note Templates in your FP system if you wish. Templates can be built via the Admin area, under Features > Bulk Email Templates. Note templates are a great way for you to direct your staff to include particular information when filling in Note Details.
- Note Title: Give your note a title that will make sense, and be easy to search for later as needed. For example - Phone Call with John, or Email Regarding Potential Work.
- Note Details: Add as little or much information as you like. Use the in-line editor to add bold, italics, bullets and links. You can also cut and paste information - be advised though that FP does not bring over Rich Text formatting, and you are better to cut and paste in Plain Text format.
- Company: Enter all or a part of the Company Name and tab out of the field. The system will either complete the name for you, or give you suitable options to choose from. You can also further associate the Note to a particular Contact and Job.
- Disable Comments: If you do not want other FP users to be able to comment on this note, tick this box. We'd recommend leaving Notes open to comments.
- Category: This is a label you can add to your Note. This might be useful for searching for notes down the road. You can have as many categories as you like, which are set-up in the Admin > System Set-Up > List Maintenance area, under the table name Note Category.
- Create Follow Up Task: Tick this box, and add in the follow up date and time above. Doing so will show this Note as a Task on your Dashboard. Doing this can work as a great reminder for things like follow up calls to clients or prospects.
- Client Visible: If you are using the FP Client Portal tool, you can choose to make your note available to view by your client portal user. The Note will need to have the Job field filled in, for this tick box to be an option.
- Pin to Dashboard: You can choose to bring this note to the attention of any or all of your fellow FP users by pinning it to their dashboard. You can later even drill into that pinned note to confirm the note was sent and to see if your coworkers have had a chance to read the note.
- File: Choose a file from your computer directory, or drag and drop a file in to be associated to the note. File can be up to 50Mb in size.
Click Submit when ready. The Note can be edited later as needed.
Editing & Commenting
Once a Note has been saved, it can easily be edited - provided you have the user permissions to do so. Click the Edit Details button to open up fields to change.
Without needing to be in edit mode, you and your FP users can also add their Comments - provided you have the user permissions to do so and you have not chosen to Disable Comments on this Note. Click Add Comment.
Click Submit to save comments.
Viewing/ Finding Notes
The Note will always store where you add it - at the Company, Contact or Job level. However - all Notes are visible at the Company level under the Notes tab, regardless of where they were added. These Notes can be sorted by any column header for easy viewing.
And through the Notes module itself, you can use any of the available fields to track down a particular Note or group of Notes. Alternately, leave all the fields empty, and just click Find Notes to get a list view of every Note in your system.
We welcome your questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org