Your Function Point system has the capability to attach Notes to Companies, Contacts and Jobs. Notes are a useful way to keep track of emails and conversations, as well as store files and communicate with your staff. You can also turn Notes into Tasks.
Keep reading to learn about how to create and use Notes.
There are multiple places within Function Point from which you can add a Note. The most straightforward is from the navigation bar.
Hover over the Notes tab in the navigation bar and hover over Add Note. The names that appear to the right of the Add Note button are of recent Contacts. You can click any of the Contact names to associate the Note to them right away. If you don't see the name of the Contact you'd like to associate the name to right away, just click Add Note and you can add a Contact later.
You can also add Notes directly from the page for a specific Company, Contact, or Job.
From a Company or Job, click the Add New button and select Add Note from the dropdown list.
From a Contact, click the Add Note button.
This will automatically fill in the related fields on the Add Note page.
Entering Note Information
Following any of the steps above will bring you to the Add Note page where you can fill in the details of your Note. Required fields are marked in blue.
- Template: If you have Note Templates already created in your system, you can select one here and the Note Details will be autofilled accordingly. If not, you can leave this field blank.
To learn how to create Note Templates, check out this article: Creating Note & Email Templates
- Note Title: Give your note a title that will easy to search for later if needed. (ex: Phone Call with John, Email Regarding Potential Work).
- Note Details: This is the content of your Note. Add as little or much information as you like. Use the in-line editor to add bold, italics, bullets and links. You can also cut and paste information.
Note: FP does not bring over Rich Text formatting, so it is better to cut and paste in Plain Text format.
- Company, Contact and Job: Every Note must be associated to a Company. Once you've done this, you can associate it to a specific Contact and/or Job from that Company.
- Disable Comments: If you do not want other FP users to be able to comment on this note, click this box. We recommend leaving Notes open to comments.
- Category: This is a label you can add to your Note to help you organize and search for it. You can have as many categories as you like, which are set-up in Admin area under System Set-Up > List Maintenance > Note Category.
- Create Follow Up Task: Click this box and add the follow up date and time above. Doing so will show this Note as a Task on your Dashboard. This is an easy way to set reminders for Tasks like follow up calls to clients or prospects.
- Client Visible: If you are using the FP Client Portal tool, you can click this box to make the Note available to view by your Client Portal user.
Note: the Note will need to be associated to a Job for this box to be an option.
- Pin to Dashboard: If you want to bring the Note to the attention of specific FP users, click the Pin to Dashboard checkbox. Then, select the names of the user/s whose Dashboard you'd like to pin the Note to. It will appear under the Pinned Notes section of their Dashboard when they log in next, and they will receive an alert. You can later open the Pinned Note to confirm that the Note has been sent, see if users have read the Note.
To learn more about Pinned Notes, check out this article: Pinned Notes
- File: You have the option to attach files to your Note. Files can be up to 50Mb in size.
Click Save when you're ready. You can always edit the Note later if something needs to be changed.
Editing & Commenting
Once a Note has been saved, it can easily be edited by clicking the Edit button in the top right corner. If the Edit button is not visible, you may not have permission to edit Notes. If you think this is an error, please contact your system administrator.
By clicking the Add Comment button, you and your FP users can also add comments to Notes. This is also provided that you have the correct user permissions, and that the creator or the Note hasn't disabled comments.
Click Submit to save your comment.
Finding and Viewing Notes
You can also view the Notes associated with a specific Company from that Company's page under the Notes tab.
We hope this article was helpful! For more step-by-step articles, videos, and webinars, check out the rest of our Help Centre. You can also contact us at email@example.com with any questions, concerns, or comments. We're happy to help.