Any Schedule you create in your system can be accessed as a Gantt via the Gantt View tab. On this view you can see your Task Groups and Tasks represented by horizontal blocks across weeks of time, toggle between a monthly and weekly view, drag and drop to change start and due dates, and add and remove task dependencies.
Please review this article for a walk-through of the Gantt View and some ways in which it can be used.
Where to access this view
Navigate to any Schedule in your system. By default, you will land on the Grid View. Click the Gantt View button to move to that view
What you can see here
The Gantt View will display all items from the grid view, but in a more visual way. Here on my Gantt I can see:
- The date span of my Schedule, from the date of the first task to the last. The Gantt can display up to 52 weeks at a time.
- The Task name, number and initials of the person or role assigned to the Task.
- A horizontal bar to represent the time span to complete the Tasks within this Task Group.
- A horizontal bar to represent the time span allocated to complete particular Tasks within this group. The date(s) also displays here, as well as the Task Status.
- Should you have set up dependences between Tasks, these will show as lines on the Gantt.
What you can do here
1. Toggle between a weekly or monthly view of the Schedule content. Click the week or month icon as needed.
2. Click, drag and drop the Task Group and all of its Tasks to a different start and end date range.
5. Select multiple Tasks along the left, and drag and drop multiple Tasks at once to different start and end dates. The Tasks selected will highlight across their row.
Share Gantt Button
On the Gantt View, there is also a Share Gantt button with its own drop down menu. The button will allow you to create a public link to the Gantt (url valid for one year), generate a PDF of this view, and/ or export the view to a spreadsheet.
Choose to share the entire Gantt, or just a selection of Tasks listed. If you select no items within the view (using the tick boxes on the far left of each row) the Share button will only show the option to share all the Tasks listed. If you have selected at least one item, you will see the option to share the entire list, as well as just those you have selected.
Once you select either "Entire Schedule" or "Selected Items" you will see the Share Gantt window.
Click open link to see this link in a new tab, or copy/ paste the link into an email, browser, instant message or similar. Click Close when done.
The resulting link view allows for users to further export this information as a PDF, and as a spreadsheet.
- Should any Task have a dependency line to another Task, it will be preserved if you drag/ drop Tasks around the Gantt. The dependency line will change to a bright orange colour should your change(s) make the dates "illegal" ie. the dependent Task now has a start date that is before the predecessor Task.
- You can see a maximum of 52 weeks on the Weekly View.
- The system will do it's best to preserve the number of days for a Task. As such, when you drag/ drop, you may see the Task bar size increase or decrease. For example, a 5 day Task set from a Monday to a Friday, would appear longer on the Gantt if moved to start on a Tuesday. The Task would pass through the Saturday and Sunday, not counting them as work days, and be due the following Monday, making the Task bar longer.
- Should your Tasks include start and due times, and your dragging and dropping causes one of those times to be "illegal", that time may no longer appear.
We welcome your questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org