Insertion Orders in Function Point, allow you to manage your advertising purchases - ie. radio, television, and print. Be advised that FP will not replace a media scheduling tool. It will not enable you to track when your advertisements are going to appear.
Please review this article to learn what each field on the Insertion form means, how to go about completing the form, and how to find and export this data as needed.
Accessing the Form
Begin by hovering over Expenses in the main navigation bar, and choose External. You now have a few options:
Find - takes you to a screen through which you can find all, or a selected list of the expenses in your system
Add Expense - used either for single job expenses or to enter expenses for multiple jobs from the same supplier
Add Insertion - used for external expenses that are related to media.
Fill Expense Form - used to enter expenses for multiple jobs that have different suppliers
Choose Add Insertion.
Filling In the Form
You will land on the Add Multi Line Insertion Order Form. Required fields are marked in blue.
- Enter the name (or part of the name) of the vendor, supplier, partner or freelancer. Note that in order for a company to pull to the Supplier field, they must have a Company Type (on their Company Details page) of either Vendor, ,Supplier, Freelance or Partner.
- Enter the date of the expense.
- Enter the memo description. This description can be for your internal use, and will not pull to the printout, or invoice.
- If you are using this form as a Purchase Order, you can choose from among Terms for the PO. Add/ edit terms via the ADMIN area > System Set Up > List Maintenance.
- The reference # can be anything you want - many of our users enter their vendor's PO # here. Note that you can only use the same Reference Number once per vendor/ supplier. If you are using FP Accountant for QuickBooks exporting, this field MUST have a unique number entered in it.
- Choose an AP account from your Chart of Accounts.
- Choose the correct office for this IO, should you have more than one.
Next, we want to fill in information about the associated job for this media expense.
8. Enter (as needed) the dollar value that was quoted by the vendor for the PO. Note that there will need to be a dollar value here, in order for a dollar value to show on the PO or RFQ printout.
9. Enter the Job, Service Group and Expense Type information for this expense. Note that the Service Group options are populating based on what is in your estimate/ job, and the Expense Type options are pulling from what you have listed in ADMIN > Manage Services & Expenses > External Expenses (% Mark Up)
10. Choose the appropriate COGS/ Quickbooks account from your system.
11. Enter the Issue Date, Ad Caption and/ or Ad Size for the media expense.
Lastly, enter information we have from the vendor or supplier.
11. Enter any description of the Insertion Order wording that you want to display on a printout.
12. Enter any information from the Invoice from your Supplier or Vendor ie. quantity, discount percentage, subtotal.
13. Enter any mark-ups from your side, and an override amount as needed.
Click Save if you are done with this Insertion Order. Once this form is saved you will be able to go back in and Edit, make a Copy, Export the form, and Print.
Click Save/ Add to save your work on this expense, and begin building a brand new one. Clicking Save/ Add will take you to a new blank Multi Line Expense form.
Once the expense form is saved, you will see a Print button in the top right of the page. Click Print, and see your default/ standard printing options drop down. Options include printing an Insertion Order, and an RFQ. If you not like the look of the standard printouts, you can absolutely change them, to make them more your own. Please review our article on how to Add a Printout to learn about customizing your printouts.
Seeing the Insertion Order on the Job Financials
Back Financials tab of the job, the Insertion Order will appear, and can now been included on an Invoice to the client.
Finding the Insertion Order Later
Once you have saved an Insertion Order, it can be easily found later. From the main navigation bar choose Expenses > External > Find.
From the Expense View field, choose Insertion Order. And optionally choose to further narrow down your search by any other field, including those specifically related to the Insertion Order. Hit Find External Expenses when ready.
You will land on a resulting list view, where you can drill into any expense listed.
Adjusting the List View & Exporting as csv
Should you not see the data you need to see on the list view, know that you can change it. From the top right, choose the Manage Columns button.
Pick and choose from any of the available column options to show. Perhaps you need to see the 3 Insertion Order related fields, as well as the Total Cost. Only those fields with a black mark need to show - the rest are all optional.
At the bottom of the Manage Columns window, drag and drop the column order.
Click Save Columns when ready.
Back on the list view, you will immediately see your new layout. Click Manage Columns again to make further changes. The system will remember these selections you've made for this list view, when you next search for expenses.
To export this data to Excel, select the CSV button in the top right. Choose to export either the data you see on screen (Current View), or all the expense related data (Export All Data) for the listed expenses. You can also choose to click the Print button, to generate a PDF of this on-screen list view.
Changing the Insertion Order Status/ Exporting the Expense
Once the Insertion Order is saved, you will be able to export it, and/ or adjust the status. Above, we see the current status of Unposted. Click Post Expense to change this status to Posted.
The status has now changed to posted. Click Export Expense to change the status to Exported. Or Unpost if you have posted the expense in error.
You can then Re-Export, or Undo the Export as needed.
We welcome your questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org